Anyone that has been the victim of a personal injury accident knows that after the shock of the accident starts to wear off the next concern is generally how will you be compensated for your injuries. While relatively minor accidents can sometimes be handled without the need to retain a personal injury accident attorney, most victims choose to hire an experienced attorney to help them through the process. The process of finding an experienced personal injury attorney can be frustrating, confusing and time consuming. While deciding on an attorney is a highly personal decision, the following tips can help make the process less confusing and may help eliminate some of the frustration.
1. Determine what type of attorney your need. This may sound obvious, but an attorney may practice many different types of law. An attorney is not required to limit his practice to any particular type of law. What this means to you-the victim- is that an attorney that has only handled one personal injury case in the last year is technically just as qualified to handle a personal injury case as one who has handled 300 personal injury cases in the last year. By the same token, the term “personal injury” can encompass a variety of cases. A car accident case is certainly a personal injury case…but so is a train accident case. Define what your case is about and focus your search on attorneys that have extensive experience handling similar cases.
2. Ask for referrals from friends and family. Even if they have never used a personal injury attorney, if they know a tax attorney that they trust get the telephone number. Call that attorney and ask for a referral to a personal injury attorney. Referrals can be some of the best sources of information and contacts when looking for an attorney. You can also check with the local or state Bar Association for referrals.
3. Search the internet. Yes, even the internet can help. Don’t base your entire decision on an internet advertisement, but you can find out a significant amount of information about an attorney through his website. What type of cases he handles, how long he has been practicing, and where his offices are located are usually included on his website.
4. Make an appointment with the attorneys that you feel fit your qualifications and requirements. Most attorneys will give you a brief consultation at no charge. Brief is an important word here. You will not have unlimited time with the potential attorney so come prepared. Make a list of questions that are important to you. Each case and each victim is unique, but common question ideas include: “What are your fees?” “How many cases like mine have you handled?” “Do you have jury trial experience?” “How can I communicate with you if I hire you?” “Do you have evening or week-end hours?”
5. Finally, ask yourself how comfortable you were with ach attorney that you consulted with. You may spend a considerable amount of time with your attorney and/or his staff. Was his staff courteous and knowledgeable? Did the attorney appear confident and experienced? Did he make you feel calm and secure in his ability?
By following these tips you should be able to find the right attorney for your particular personal injury accident case. If you would like a consultation at no charge for your California personal injury accident case, please feel free to contact attorney Emery Ledger at Ledger & Associates by calling 1-800-300-0001 or through his website at www.ledgerlaw.com.