What To Do After A Slip And Fall Accident
A slip and fall accident, commonly known as a premises liability accident, occurs when someone falls on a slippery surface. If you’ve had a slip and fall accident, you may wonder what steps to take. Here’s a guide on what to do:
Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability cases. They happen when someone falls due to unsafe conditions, like slippery floors or poorly maintained areas. It’s important to know that property owners can be held responsible for such accidents.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
The property owner is usually the first party held accountable for a slip and fall accident. To file a successful claim in California, you need to prove that:
- The property owner owned the premises where the accident happened.
- The property owner had a duty to maintain a safe environment for visitors.
- The property owner breached this duty.
- The breach led to your injuries.
- You suffered damages, including medical expenses.
It might seem straightforward, but property owners can defend themselves. You may also be found partially at fault for your injuries. Seek a Newport Beach slip and fall accident attorney’s advice to understand the defenses and contributory negligence laws.
Types of Compensation
If you were involved in a California slip and fall accident, you can claim several types of compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: Covers your medical bills for doctor fees, hospitalization, and diagnostic tests.
- Future Medical Expenses: Includes costs for surgeries, therapies, and medications if the injury requires ongoing treatment.
- Loss of Earnings: Accounts for income lost due to the accident and recovery period.
- Loss of Future Earnings: Factors in diminished earning capacity if you can’t return to your previous job.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensates for physical pain and mental anguish.
- Punitive Damages: Awarded for extreme negligence by the property owner or other liable parties.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
After a slip and fall, it’s important to follow these steps:
- Report the Fall: Inform the property owner, supervisors, or managers if it happened in a commercial setting.
- Get Medical Help: Even if your injuries seem minor, seek medical attention to strengthen your claim.
- Document Evidence: Take pictures of the accident scene, especially any hazardous conditions.
- Talk to Witnesses: Collect contact information from witnesses.
- Do Not Speak: Avoid discussing your accident with insurance company representatives without an attorney.
- Call a Slip and Fall Attorney: Consult an experienced attorney to understand your legal options.
The Ledger Law Firm’s Newport Beach slip and fall accident lawyers are here to help you.
The slip and fall accident lawyers at The Ledger Law Firm are dedicated to the representation of persons who have suffered falls on other’s premises, from their offices in California.