Asbestos-contaminated job sites and other environments have led to debilitating diseases and health conditions that include mesothelioma. If you or a loved one worked in or were exposed to asbestos, it’s imperative that you contact an experienced California mesothelioma attorney or Newport Beach mesothelioma attorney. The development of a mesothelioma or other asbestos-related illnesses may have a catastrophic impact on the exposed person’s health.
A California mesothelioma lawyer will be able to help you navigate the legal system and file a claim against the company or companies that caused this unnecessary exposure and condition. An experienced attorney can also help you punish them for the pain and suffering this sometimes fatal disease has put you and your family through. It is fundamentally unfair that these corporations turned a profit while everyday people suffer the consequences related to asbestos exposure.
One of the worst parts of these companies’ actions is that ordinary people never even knew they were in contact with asbestos or that it caused Newport Beach mesothelioma. That alone may make you eligible to file suit against companies that used this dangerous mineral.
What Is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma impacts the lining of a person’s inner body cavity, known as the mesothelium. It is a malignant and incurable disease that involves acutely painful and expensive medical treatment. In many cases, people are unaware of the condition until it reaches its late stages. The disease has been known to remain dormant for decades and the longer it resides in the body, the more difficult it can be to effectively treat. Late stage diagnosis is a serious problem.
California Asbestos Exposure
Mesothelioma and lung cancer rank among the most commonly associated disease that are caused by asbestos contact and exposure. During the 1970s and 1980s, the dangers of asbestos were not widely understood and workers were commonly exposed without specifically designed protective gear.
Despite the rigorous regulation of this mineral in California, asbestos has not been fully banned. It continues to be used in conjunction with certain commercial products. If you or a loved one were employed at one of the facilities listed below, it’s important to talk with a California mesothelioma attorney or Newport Beach mesothelioma attorney so that a case can be filed on your behalf.
- Shipyards: Asbestos was widely used in California’s many shipyards and naval facilities. More than 50 percent of the reported incidents of asbestos-related health incidents were connected to the state’s shipyards and naval bases. Many of these posts used were erected during the 1970s when asbestos was commonplace in construction materials.
- Manufacturing: Numerous California companies were directly responsible for the manufacturing of this mineral into products. The people who spent time in these plants are among the highest risk of asbestos diseases. These facilities also brought other potentially deadly materials to bear in the manufacturing process.
- Homes And Other Structures: Many construction outfits utilized asbestos products during its heyday. Asbestos was considered an effective insulator because it absorbed heat better than other materials. It was also highly cost effective and helped slash building costs. Homes, schools and even hospitals were built with asbestos products and that placed many Californians at risk.
Asbestos Contamination Call A California Mesothelioma Attorney
While there are many contamination sites in California, both known and yet to be unearthed, these are some of the locations that have contributed to high rates of mesothelioma and asbestos related diseases to employees.
- Coalinga Asbestos Mine: Before the fatal consequences of asbestos exposure were well know, California enjoyed a productive mining industry. The practice was widely banned after miners suffered exposure to this deadly mineral. The Coalinga mines is located in the southern part of California and remains the state’s only such facility. It was operational for more than 10 years. Large quantities of asbestos were extracted and miners were routinely exposed and are considered to be at extreme risk of developing mesothelioma. Second-hand exposure may have also traveled home to family members and loved ones.
- San Diego Naval Station: Considered one of the major asbestos sites where exposed people developed malignant forms of mesothelioma, the cancer-causing agent was employed to insulate military installations. More than 300 known asbestos products have been discovered in military bases, particularly in the U.S. Navy. This includes facilities that were erected as early as the 1930s all the way through the 1970s. Asbestos was prevalent in things ranging from building materials to turbines. The San Diego location worked in repairs and handled enormous amounts of solid waste and scrap during the early 1970s. It ranks among the worst asbestos contamination sites.
- Other Contaminated California Sites: Because California has a dense population and asbestos was consistently used for insulation, many residents were placed at risk. The highest risk sites include factories, manufacturing plants, shipyards, military posts, and other commercial and industrial locations.
If you have developed mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure, contact an experienced California attorney or Newport Beach mesothelioma attorney to help you file a claim against the responsible parties.
Massive Port of Los Angeles Public Access Redevelopment Coming
Selected re-use of old dockside warehouses as public attractions are popular, but healthy?
One reads about these great plans for the children and almost wishes they could enjoy those joys once again with new perspective. In this case, plans have been unveiled regarding a massive a $150 million expansion extravaganza to the Port of Los Angeles. Going to the public side of things, like Ports o’ Call in San Pedro, or the Queen Mary complex in Long Beach, the Port of LA is taking the tourist step big time, outside of the cruise ship market.
One must say, the pedigree of the project is superb. Set up through marine science and business innovation group AltaSea the city quietly disclosed the plans featuring a huge 280,000-square-foot facility that comprises a sparkling waterfront esplanade, a high tech aquaculture study facility, and science center that teams up currently existing dockside warehouses with a gleaming visitor’s point and signal-house.
Three old maritime industry warehouse skeletons featuring exposed, oxidized steel beams and weathered overhead dock trusses will shelter the latest research and maritime business development amenities for aquaculture and leading edge underwater robotics activities. The project’s progress will be divided into several phases beginning with the redevelopment of old Warehouses 58 through 60, combining to contribute 180,000 square feet of useful space. This phase also involves an education building and wharfside plaza. A second and third phase will entail renovating Warehouse 57—which will provide 60,000 square feet for a laboratory and unique classroom space. Everything old is new again!
Yes, it is exciting. And this will begin soon but, with all red tape, the project will not finish until 2023. That should offer plenty of time to be cautious and thoroughly check and recheck for such silent killers as lead toxins and asbestos insulation. Protecting yourself and future generations from the dangers of mesothelioma is important. Do not assume it cannot touch you.
This is just one example. In your own neighborhood, there are probably half a dozen similar projects that may be finished or in-progress in your own neighborhood or community. They sound grand, and yes, they are. However, the little details, like asbestos fibers from old buildings, can wreak havoc to health later in time. Therefore, take time now to investigate research, question and explore the aspects of the projects in your area that may be of concern.
If you have a development in place in your area and you believe there may be a problem, don’t hesitate to inquire. We at The Ledger Law Firm are here to help.